9/30/08

monster cookies

Monster Cookies 12
Surely you've all heard of monster cookies?
Everytime I see them in the food blogging world they are always meant for kids or kids themed events.
Cookie junkie" add in" peeps like myself LOVE these .
You can literally add anything to them; chunk them up with lots of goodies. There are just so many takes on the monster cookies that technically everyone could have their own version. Add in's include: cc chips, semi-sweet chips, white chocolate chips, pb chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, toffee, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, Reese's, M&M's (whichever flavor), candy chips, potato chips, pretzels, etc... You get the idea.
Monster Cookies 6
So, with all that said, it begs the question: what would you add?

I'll post the recipe, but you add in whatever you want to add in; I didn't include all the add in's as space is limited, but the list is endless.
Monster Cookies 5

monster cookies
print recipe

2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temp.
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 ts of vanilla extract
1 ts of baking soda
½ ts baking powder
1 ts of salt
2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour

For the mix-in’s you can choose: (I chose mini M&M’s, pecans, milk choco, Reese’s)
1/2 cup of butterscotch chips
1 cup of mini M&Ms
1 cup of Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup of milk chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
1 cup of chopped Heath bar bits
1 cup Reese’s PB Chips
Endless options for add in's

Cook notes:
As tempting as it may be to add in all the mix-in’s I wouldn’t as it would cause the cookie to break because of the weight, but you could all add the ingredients and make bars out of them, baking them in a pan.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix and set aside.
Beat the butter and the sugars at medium speed until well incorporated and fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for about 2 minutes on medium speed.
Add half the flour mixture mix 30 seconds. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom to ensure all the butter is well incorporated. Then add the other half, mix, but don’t over mix.
Fold in the mix-ins, then mix. Put in fridge to chill at least 30 minutes. When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I made golf ball size dough balls and put on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake about 10 – 15 minutes, turning sheets halfway during cooking time. Depending on your oven this may take longer or shorter to bake.
Be sure to let them cool on the baking sheet before you move them. If you do make them larger like I did then let them cool completely before picking them up as the middles are always softer and might break on you.
Made about 19 giant cookies.
If you don’t make them giant then you’ll probably get 35+ regular size cookies.

24 comments:

  1. I'll take a dozen of those, please!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn, let's dip them in Nutella and be done with it! haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make monster cookies for some time now because I have a ton of leftover candy in the pantry :truffles, reese's pieces, Krackle, white chocolate, milk chocolate and semi-sweet morsels, coconut, toffee bits, etc. I crave something, so I buy it and never finish it. I might just have to make cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would disappear in seconds over here! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feed me feed me! Im the true cookie monster! Me want cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your go big or go home approach to baking! I would definitely do some combo of nuts (peanuts most likely), chocolate, toffee, and peanut butter (pieces or cups).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get that "it's for kids" thing... But since I'm such a kid sometimes, these are perfect for me!!! Choose adds-in? Are you kidding? Let's put all of those from your list and hope for the best! Of course using them for ice-cream sandwiches is allways a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely not for kids. Adults only, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cookies meant for kids? pfff--i laugh. i predict that if i live to be 100, i'll still be devouring these...perhpas in a softened form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa talk about monsterous monster cookies :) They are awesome, look at how they crowd the limelight of the camera. They are loud and proud, and would beat up on other cookies and take their lunch money :)

    What would I add? I'd go with pretzels, junior mints, kit kats, and maybe some chocolate covered peanuts... but not all at once

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my..thats one serious cookie..I think you covered all the bases!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll take a monster cookie anyday! with a big glass of milk! Yum! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids saw these cookies and are begging me to make them right now. I guess I better go get some m & m's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who needs proper meals when you can just eat these? Sounds fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, yum. Those look to die for, but everything here does. I would be obese if we really knew each other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just want your add ins now. I've never added in the reese's pieces-what have I been waiting for? We make cookies every Sunday night, so these are on the list now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one monster I am not afraid of. I love a good loaded cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need a couple of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I am craving cookies. That is a lot of good ideas for cookie fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look delicious but I really want the ones with Heath bar bits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving the looks and sounds of your monster cookies! I'll have to make them this weekend. Who can go without cookies?! Not I!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My kids would love them & I would also.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cookies!!! And so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! I found mini reeses pieces for baking at walmart tonight and I also found little mini caramel bites that were way cute. Lately I have been wanting the sweet and salty combo so I think I would do pretzels, caramel, and chocolate chips in mine. yeah, I think I'll do that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This