12/15/11

hot pepper jelly candied walnuts

pepper jelly candied walnuts 2

Lots of holiday parties this time of year. And while at these holiday parties do you ever find yourself sizing up the all the dishes and trying to figure out which one belongs to which person? Do you see the same old dishes year after year and think "jeez, did that person bring that crappy dish again?". Are you as bad as I am? And put a face to each and every dish and then wait to see which person comes over to the dish to 're-organize it', 'clean it up'? Well, yes I am guilty of that. But I'm also guilty of waiting to see who belongs to the fabulous dishes too. Dying to find out who it is and ask them why this, what made you think of that? Because that means there is another foodie at the party and a good "food" conversation will surely start.
So I made these candied walnuts with the hope in mind that a few people will bite into them and then a few seconds later a gentle expression of "oh, that's different", "what's in this?". I love that part. And of course I love to answer every single ingredient query. Do you?
What's the worst party themed dish you've seen?
What's the best?

pepper jelly candied walnuts 7

These candied walnuts came about when that jar lone of peppered jelly was just sitting in the cupboard for a couple months. I did have plans to use it in a cheese/wine roll of some sort, but saw the walnuts and knew immediately what to do with it. I was hesitant at first because it doesn't make it completely candied/hardened but does lend a nice unique flavor. They are sticky but tasty.

pepper jelly candied walnuts 1


hot pepper jelly candied walnuts
print recipe

¾ cup hot pepper jelly/jam
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 dashes of Tabasco sauce
2 cups walnuts (pecans would work well too)
1 egg white, room temperature

Cook notes: the nuts will be sticky after baking; they will not form a hard shell; sticky but very tasty. The pepper jelly is not that spicy at all--a gentle heat.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a bowl mix the hot pepper jelly with salt and Tabasco sauce. Set aside.

In separate bowl beat egg white frothy but not stiff. Add in the walnuts, and stir to coat evenly. Next add in the pepper jelly mix and toss until evenly coated.

Spread the nut mixture onto a parchment or silicone mat lined cookie sheet.
I gave them a light sprinkle of salt before baking, optional.
Bake for 30-40 minutes; halfway thru mixing up the nuts and/or rotate the pan. Check at the 30 minute mark for doneness.
You will know the nuts are done when they are slightly browned and the jelly coating is firmed up a bit.
Remove from oven. Nuts will be hot, so be careful touching them.
After they’ve cooled a bit, separate and break up any large clumps.

When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.

15 comments:

  1. I have that exact jelly in my pantry and couldn't figure out what to do with it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am freaking obsessed!!!! with that TJs jelly. Ever since it came out, I eat it like it's..water. I mean, I love love love that stuff!

    Also their mango red pepper chutney is very good if you've never tried that. Similar heat levels, but still no garlic/onions/no sodium overload..which are things I love about that jelly, too.

    I linked your CheezeIt Bark in my post today. Amazing.Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh oh I totally judge what everyone brings :) I had a blast doing this at my cookie exchange ;). Someone just brought me a jar of this jelly and I had no idea what to do with it! Thanks for the fun suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO intrigued by this. Not sure if I'd like it though... might have to try it and get back to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 100% sure I would love this since I ADORE nuts and even more ADORE hot pepper jelly. I'd be that foodie coming up to you at the party. For sure.

    The worst party-themed food I had? The grad school class that I joined had a Thanksgiving potluck and some of the worst food I've ever tasted was there. aNd they were all so proud of it. Cardboard. (I'm awful.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Le plein de bonnes choses
    Je te souhaite une excellente journée
    Valérie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally on board with candied nuts. Happy holidays, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally be able to spot your crazy ass dish at a party!! We just went to a "holiday party" the other night..they had a pickle tray, Fritos,Meatballs, cupcakes and salami. Are you freaking serious? They were adults not college kids. I was actually quite appauled. I was in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Those would be a big hit in my family. Saving this recipe for future use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I have to get this jelly to make these delicious walnuts. Oh my goodness they look fantastic:)Happy Holidays to you. xx:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. pepper jelly is the bees' knees, and this is such a unique way to use it! i love these so much, dawn--so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so funny...and that party stuff is so true. Once (are you ready?) someone brought some skewers with squares of dill pickles, cheddar cheese and, brace yourself, spam. I kid you not.
    I was debating doing some nuts before the kids arrived this week...who cares if it's sticky? Sounds delicious. Just have some napkins around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hot pepper jelly on EVERYTHING. I can't believe you put them on nuts. This looks freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would so eat way too much of this if I saw it at a party.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This